Are Pralidoxime, Enoxaparin and TSH medications administered for chest pain and rapid heart rates?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015 in General Health
Question: I was given pralidoxime chloride, enoxaparin sodium and TSH injections at an ER for chest pain and rapid heart rates. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More details required. It does not seem normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I would really appreciate if you could give me the background in some more detail. Pralidoxime is generally given for oranophosphorous poisoning, so I would not consider it normal. However, I am not sure if you meant pantoprazole instead.

Enoxaparin is a blood thinner and can be given in case of certain heart ailments that could give rise to chest pain. But once again, it is not given presumptively. The ECG findings that guided them to do so, is important in this regard.

TSH is not administered like this and in such a condition. In fact, it is not administered at all. So, I would not consider it normal.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 54 minutes later
Thank you, Dr.Saha, very much for your attention. I had been admitted to hospital for observation because I had chest pains and my rate had been 181 earlier in the day. I had 3 ekg's, 3 troponin tests over a 12 hour period and was told everything was fine. I have since been diagnosed with supra ventricular tachycardia.
In reviewing my itemized XXXXXXX I saw the 3 items and wondering what they were, I did an online search and found that, to my thinking, they seemed inappropriate for my condition. Probably a billing error...
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
supra ventricular tachycardia could explain your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Let me assure you that supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT) is generally not a cause of concern and does not need to be treated unless it is too embarrassing for the patient. But SVT could explain your symptoms. Since the heart was beating at a faster rate, the oxygen demand should have increased and being unable to meet the increased oxygen demand could have lead to your chest pain. In such a case, all the reports are likely to be negative.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T