Are Paracetamol and Mefenamic acid suspension safe for fever in children?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi my daughter 7 yr old with 24 kG wt hang high fever around 103 degree F. Doctor recommended 7.5 ml of paracetamol 6 hrly and in between these doses 10 ml of mefenemic acid suspension also if fever does not lower down with paracetamol. So my question is it safe for my daughter without any harmful side effects. Reason may be viral or dengue fever. As I know the mefenemic acid is anti inflammatory drug and it may cause bad results in dengue by lowering platelets count. Please suggest me the best.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should not give mafenemic acid, please provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I appreciate your concern for your daughter
I would advise you for a battery of tests to find out the underlying cause for the fever, which is more important to decide further course of action.
So I would advise you for CBC, NS1 Antigen test by elisa for dengue, PBS for malaria, liver function test or an X ray chest if she is having cough or chest pain.

Here I would like further information to help you better
Is she having sore throat, running nose or cough?
Is there any skin rashes or fever is associated with chills and rigors ?
Hows her appetite?

In my opinion you should not give mafenemic acid, you can give paracetamol 10 to 15 mg per kg body weight every 4 hourly, in her case 240 to 360 mg every 4 hourly, just see the how much paracetamol is there in per ml
if it contains 100 mg paracetamol in 5 ml than give her 15 ml every 4 hourly or if contains 100 mg per ml than 3 ml every 4 hourly.
cold sponging is advisable, as such paracetamol also work by increasing heat dissipation from the body, cold sponging also helps the same way.

Hope this answers your question
Please write back to me with these details so that I will be able to tell you more accurately.
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj