Are Oxycodone, Norco and Hydromorphone addictive in nature?
also. i have a lot of pain and DO NOT take pain medicine unless it's necessary. I have been on Oxycodone but had the doctor change it because of nightmares. He then put me on Norco which helped for a while but has stopped helping. Today he put me on Hydromorphon 2mg. My question is about the addiction danger of this new med. The addiction gene runs in my dad's side of the family and I have brothers and sisters who have become its victim. Any information you can give me will help.
Take it as per your doctor's advice
Thanks for writing to us.
Oxycodone, norco and hydromorphon are opioid group drugs. They are used for severe pain. Yes they have high addiction potential but it does not mean that one should not use it. It totally depends on you that you can tolerate pain or not. Other pain killers may not be used due to your pancreas insufficiency. That is why your doctor has prescribed.
When opiod group of drug used under medical supervision and as per prescription and guidance of treating doctor you will not be addicted. You can stop the drug gradually as per doctor's advice.
Suddenly stopping the opioids will precipitate withdrawal. Opioid withdrawal symptoms like fever, body ache, muscle cramps, sleep disturbance, anxiety, lacrimation, rhinorrhoea are very much uncomfortable. So never go for stopping it cold turkey.
You are already aware about the risk so you can use it rationally and get benefit.
And you are at 73 so there would not be any problem using opioid. You have been given also low dose so no need to worry at all.
Hope this answer will help, I will be happy to help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hydromorphone testosterone
- Addiction symptoms hydrocodone/oxycodone
- Hydromorphone compared to oxycodone
- Symptoms of oxycodone addiction
- Is hydromorphone stronger than oxycodone
- Hydromorphone strength compared to oxycodone
- Hydromorphone vs oxycodone
- Oxycodone addiction side effects
- Norco 10 325 vs oxycodone
- Signs of oxycodone addiction
- Can Chlorpromazine and Sodium Valproate Sandoz be taken in pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for OCD
- Suggest treatment for delayed ejaculation
- How to wean off of Trazadone?
- What causes anxiety and visual problems after taking psychedelic mushrooms?
- Suggest treatment for anxiety
- What causes drowsiness during day time?
- Can Solian and Lexapro be taken together?
- Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction caused by over masturbation
- Suggest an alternative treatment for premature ejaculation