Are HIV finger prick tests accurate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear Doctor , First i want to thank you for the amazing websites which i was interested to come in with my question after in saw it online, I had one time unprotected sex with unknown HIV female status 78 days ago and been so worried all this while an still much worried that's why i came here , i been testing with finger prick rapid tests all this while 78 days first 2 weeks and one month and 2 month today after 78 days i got 4 different HIV finger prick tests and make it and it was negative ? my question is this tests accurate ? and 78 days is enough to stop worrying ? i have been using different types if kits just to make sure all is ok just because am much worried and planning to get married in august ? what is m status or percentage ? i believe i have good immune system or in other world strong immune system does that delay the test to show positive ? i just want to relax please help me and sorry for my poor English hope i will get answer soon ,thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Strong immunity of the body reacts fast, not delay the result.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

First of all, all women are not HIV positive. Even with a positive woman every contact is not necessarily infectious. But the risk can not be ruled out.
Most of the HIV test are detecting the antibodies against HIV infection, in the presence of an infection. Almost all the tests available in the market are highly reliable up to 97-98%.
Antibodies against HIV in the presence of an infection could appear by 6-8 weeks on wards. So your tests done by 78 days is a highly reliable one and the negative test ruled out the possibility of HIV 1 and 2 with you.
In rare instances some individual may have a delay in antibody production up to 3 months. So another test after 90 days can be taken as more conclusive one.
Strong immune system reacts fast, and this will never delay the antibody production.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Thank you very much doctor XXXXXXX am feeling better now
Yes you are right i don't know if she was positive or negative i will return the test after 90 days and after that no tests required?
just a small question doctor , is the risk was low or high does that affect the windows period of the tests
Thanks again
XXXX
Brief Answer:
No further test is necessary after the test on 90 days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
You need no further test for HIV 90 days after the high risk contact. It will be conclusive one.
You don't have any extra risk that could alter your HIV test result.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 54 minutes later
Dear Doctor

i Have not any extra risk after the 79 days ago and have not meet any girl , you mentioned that i need no further test for hiv 90 days after the high risk contact, what about if i had low risk whatever is it the same low and high please just explain this for me
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Test result 90 days after high risk contact is conclusive

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

You had unprotected contact with a girl with unknown HIV status. As per CDC, XXXXXXX vaginal penetrative sex carries a risk of 4 per 10000 contact for HIV. There is no other factor influence the risk to say high or low.
The test result would have some influence, if one is on some immuno-suppressive drugs. Otherwise the test by 90 days is conclusive.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 25 minutes later
Thank you very much Doctor
i really appreciate and feeling better with you
you are great

XXXX
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
YOU ARE WELCOME

Detailed Answer:
HI,
You are most welcome.
Feel free to ask if you have more doubts. If there is nothing to ask any more you can close this conversation.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist