question-icon

Are Flonase and Augmentin safe to take while undergoing radiation therapy?

Posted on Sat, 13 Oct 2018
Question: I began symptoms with a cough and clear mucus. It has turned to a yellow sticky mucus in a day. I also have wheezing, night sweats and a low grade fever 99.5. Is this viral or bacterial. I am 65 in great health but do have a valve replacement due to radiation and non Hodgkin's lymphoma 35 years ago. I have been prescribed an inhaler Flonase and augmentin by a nurse practioner. No tests tell me it's bacterial. Not a fan of antibiotics. I feel fine other than these symptoms. Thought?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Continue the current treatment.

Detailed Answer:

As you explain the history it might be started as a viral situation and after has superimposed a bacterial infection.

I reccommend you to continue the current treatment Augmentin 1 gram twice orally for 5-7 days and to see how you will feel further.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist