Are Escherichia coli harmful?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I have a question about E. coli ? How much bacteria cases E. coli? And what happens if your swallow your own?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
E coli normally present in colon

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Many of the bacteria ingested orally are destroyed by protective mechanism of body like hydrochloric acid of stomach. It is naturally secreted to help in food digestion , it also serves to destroy the harmful micro organism swallowed. If the load of bacteria is large and the bacteria is pathogenic its likely to result in gastro intestinal tract. It is also worth mentioning that E coli bacteria is normal resident flora of colon and rectum , its only some of the strains of bacteria cause infection.

I could not understand the first part of your query: How much bacteria causes E coli? It would be very helpful if you could clarify your query , so that I am able to assist you better.

Awaiting your response

Take Care

Best regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar