Are Cipro and Metronidazole safe to take for diverticulitis?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I am on 2 different antibiotics for diveriticulos. The warnings on the label have me so scared. It is 4 days now and I can really tell it is working, Do I really need to take these for 7 days, Cipro and metronidazole. I have so many friends who have had problems from taking antibiotis. Is there anything I can do more except drink a lot of water.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would finish the 7 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Cipro and metronidazole are drugs that are commonly prescribed for diverticulitis. Most people tolerate them well with few side effects. Unless you are having side effects from them I would complete the 7 day course. Complications of diverticulitis can be severe, such as abscess requiring surgery, so you want to make sure the infection is completely cleared up.
After completing the course of antibiotics take a probiotic such as Align for several weeks and eat some yogurt. This can help restore the normal gut bacteria that are healthy. Also make sure that you keep your stools soft by drinking plenty of water and having a high fiber diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Here is a website where you can learn more about diverticulits and how to prevent it in the future.
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diverticulitis-the-basics?source=search_result&search=diverticulitis&selectedTitle=3~39
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson