Are Bromelain and Nattokinase supplements advisable while on Aspirin and Metoprolol?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking 90 mg. Brilinta/ 2 times per day, 1 baby aspirin, and 12.5 mg metoprolol tartate/2 times per day, following placement of 2 stents in coronary arteries, following myocardial infarction. Other arteries were found to be 60 to 70 percent occluded. I would like to take Bromelain and nattokinese supplements, but each warn about interactions with blodd thinning medications and beta blockers. Could I take these two supplements safely, and if so, what would be recommended dosage guidelines?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

My opinion is that you shouldn't take Bromelain and Nattokinese supplements, because these preparations interact with Aspirin and Brilinta increasing the risk of major bleeding.

Since you are taking two blood thinning drugs (aspirin and Brilinta) adding supplements with blood thinning effect will put you in high risk for life threatening bleeding.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu