Are BP of 116/75 and pulse rate of 153 normal?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband's resting pulse is at 153 with a BP of 116/75. He is 67 with no cardiologic problems - but he had very little sleep last night due to a broken CPAP. Should I call 911 or wait for it to subside a little. He is breathing fine.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's better to call 911

Detailed Answer:
Its likely an atrial fibrillation with fast ventricular rate. Its not immediately life threatening, but it's better to get him admitted and his rate controlled. Its likely due to sleep apnea problem.
He ll need investigations like ecg to confirm the diagnosis, also echo to see heart function, valve leakages. After that doctor will put him on rate control medicine and blood thinners.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng