Are BP of 105/57 and pulse of 97 normal?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure after coming in from mowing the grass is 105/57 and a pulse rate of 97 and am feeling very dizzy and lightheaded. Is this a issue to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Your actual blood pressure values are a little low.

They could be indicative of orthostatic hypotension, considering the fact that you have been walking.

This situation could be related to dehydration or to anti-hypertesive therapy, if you are taking such drugs.

For this reason, I would recommend you to have some rest and avoid physical activity. Taking plenty of fluids (water, juices) can help improve your situation. A coffee can help too.

I would recommend increasing salt intake in the next days.

If the problem persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for electrolyte imbalance.
A Head Up Tilt test may be necessary if suspicions of orthostatic hypotension are raised.

If you are taking anti-hypertensive drugs, I would recommend reduce the doses in the next days.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri