Are Azithromycin, Ciprodex and steroid injections effective at treating damaged eardrums?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I've been sick with congestion for 6 days. I've had awfully hard coughs, which is helping get this crap out
of my chest. I went to Walk-in Clinic. I think, I've blown out my eardrum from coughing. I've lost hearing
in that ear. The Dr. said, I had an ear infection. He gave me a prescription of: Azithromycin Tab 250mg.
1st. day, take 2, then one/daily for 3 more days. He also gave me Ciprodex Sus 0.3.0 1% ear drops along with a Steroid injection. Is this going to heal my damaged ear and loss of hearing?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

it treats the infection

Detailed Answer:

As you explain the history the ENT doctor is treating you for an ear infection. Steroids help to reduce the inflammation of the ear itself and thus in improving hearing.

But after the treatment, you should do an examination called Audiogram which is specific for hearing and its evaluation.

I wish a fast recovery for you and I hope to have been helpful

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T