• question-icon

Are Atenolol and Amlodipine advisable while having aortic aneurysm and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I HAVE A 4.4 ANEYRISM IN MY AORTA, AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE HAS BEEN HIGH, I AM CURRENTLY TAKING ATENOL 50 MGDURING THE DAY AND AMLODIPINE 5 MG AT NIGHT TO BRING MY BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN, I HAVE BEEN VERY NERVOUS ABOUT THIS AM IDOING THE RIGHT THING. I ALSO HAVE ITP PURPURA IT IS 113,000. I AM WONDERING IF TAKING ATENOLOL AND AMLODIPIE CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH MY ANEURYSM AND MY ITP?

I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN ANSWER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ABOUT THE QUESTION THAT I JUST ASKED??

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 42 minutes later
Brief

Your medications are alright

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that you are on right medication.

ATENOLOL and Amlodipine will keep your Bp in control there by taking care of the aneurysm also.

Yes very small proportion of the patients have had thrombocytopenia that too after more than 15 years of treatment with Amlodipine. So in my opinion there is nothing to worry as of now and it's a good thing that your Bp is under control.

Just continue with the same meds and whenever you meet your doctor next time you can discuss the same with him.

I hope this information will relieve your worries.

Kind regards.
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist