• question-icon

Are Arginine and Lysine advisable for a 17 year old?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello! My 17 yo son is 5'6. He is very athletic and started weight training a year ago, his body looks amazing but he has not grown at all in a year. I am very upset and worried that he stopped growing. It really affects his self esteem... Do you think it is safe for them to start taking Arginine, orthonine, lysine to promote growth? Do you think he should stop building muscles? He had a bone scan two yard ago and his bone age was compatible to his chronicological age.., so no hope there although he looks younger than 17, still no facial hair...He is also a bad sleeper )addicted to his phone...) I know I have a small window left so I am very worried...
Our family;
Mom 5'5
Dad 5'9
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A detailed clinical examination is needed;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your son development.
As you know the final height of a person is a result of many factors including: genetic predisposition (The height of your son is not expected to be tall (having into consideration your height and your husband's height) and environmental factors (malnutrition, psychological stress, climate, physical activity ect.)
Of course, alterations in energy intake and expenditure can affect growth.
Although moderate activity is associated with cardiovascular benefits and favorable changes in body composition, excessive physical activity during childhood and adolescence may negatively affect growth and adolescent development.
Sports that emphasize strict weight control and high energy output—are of particular concern for growth disorders.
After a period of decelerating height velocity, growth virtually ceases because of epiphyseal fusion, typically at a skeletal age of 15 y in girls and 17 y in boys. He needs a detailed clinical examination by an endocrinologist, who will evaluate the pubertal symptoms (pubic hair evaluation is very important) as you mentioned that the facial hair is still not present.
Than he will decide rather he needs further examinations, or is just a normal curve of height as it was expected to be and rather physical activity will be suggested to get interrupted.
In endocrinology the clinical examination is very important to determine rather is a normal pubertal development or not.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 21 minutes later
What do you think of supplemnts with protein, calvium and lycine ?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, he may use protein supplements:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back!
Yes, he may use protein supplements as long as he continues with strenuous exercise, to avoid alteration in energy intake and expenditure, that may be a cause of stop growing in height.
Wish him good health,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 5 hours later
I am confused: will these supplements increase growth?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Resume;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I mentioned above some of the causes that may affect growing;

1) it may be a natural/genetic cause

2) endocrinological pathologies ( to exclude them a detailed clinical examination (and probably hormonal exams) is needed 3) strenuous exercise that lead to great energy expenditure may also affect growth. Amino acid supplements may be of help, in this case, to balance the energy intake and expenditure.

This is the summary of what I tried to explain above.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist