Are Ansaid and Duricef safe to take for toothache?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi

I am in Pakistan my tooth hurts
I am from the UK
The doctor here prescribed me Ansaid and Duricef

I am not sure if there any good
We are used to UK pain killers and Anti biotics

My tooth hurts when i bite down on it
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like deep tooth infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complaint, it seems that you have a deep seated tooth infection that has involved the nerves of the tooth and irritation of nerves causes pain..
Pain on biting down is an indication that the infection has reached further deep, in the region below the root tips of the tooth and causing infection in that area..

The medications advised to you that is Ansaid contains active Ingredient Flurbiprofen that is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory painkiller and is suitable in this case to relieve pain..

Other medicine that is Duricef contains Cefadroxil and is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections..
Both these medications will help in reducing infection and pain..

I would however like to know a few more details so that I can guide you better towards treatment..
1. Since how long is the pain present?
2. Is pain only on biting or otherwise also present?
3. Is the tooth decayed or you also experience food impaction in the tooth?
4. Is it sensitive to hot and cold?
5. Is there any swelling also present?
6. Was any x ray of tooth taken or you were advised any treatment of tooth other than antibiotics?

Kindly revert back with reply..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 3 days later
I have tried to find a dentist but no luck when i bite my teeth together it hurts i have been pharmacy who said take co amoxiclav
Pain is when i bite down and there is throbbing in the tooth like a heart beat but that happens occasionally
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tooth needs evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per your answer it seems that either you have a deep decay in tooth or there is fracture in tooth causing throbbing, pain and heartbeat like sensation..

It needs proper evaluation and investigations like x ray..
Then only the cause for it will be confirmed and an appropriate treatment can be done only after it..

You will have to look for a Dentist and proper treatment can be done only after a proper diagnosis..

Co- amoxiclav can be helpful in reducing infection and is not helpful in reducing pain, therefore in case if you want to reduce pain you should take anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen.

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad