Are ALT level of 245 and AST level of 146 normal?

Diabetologist
Question
My recent ALT level was 245. My AST level was 146. I've lost ten pounds lately. I am also weaning my nine month old baby right now. On occasion, I do have a pain in my stomach. Years ago, I had half of my Thryroid removed because of benign nodules. I am on 100 mg of Levothyroxine daily.
Are these levels something to worry about? Might it be a Gallbladder situation starting or something worse?
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test ultrasound abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.

The most significant fact that you have told us is that you have had thyroid nodules for which you have been operated.

Itis quite possible that now you may have developed the nodules in the liver.
The liver nodules might be benign and causing raised liver enzymes.

Hyperthyroidism and less commonly hypothyroidism are also know to cause raised liver enzymes.

I therefore recommend testing ultrasound of the abdomen , and thyroid profile if nor tested recently.

Do let us know when you get the report.
Please feel free to contact us for more information as needed.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal

Follow-up: Are ALT level of 245 and AST level of 146 normal? 51 minutes later
Could this be Gallbladder inflammation (cholecystitis).

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms of acute cholecystitis include a sudden sharp pain in the upper abdomen with tenderness. the pain is persistent. additional symptoms are fever,
nausea and vomiting,
sweating,
loss of appetite,
jaundice.

Additionally, testing shows elevated serum bilirubin, aminotransferases and alkaline phosphatase levels. Not just SGOT , SGPT.

Since you have not suggested the symptoms and the other changes in lab report, I don't think it's cholecystitis.

Best of luck. Dr Mittal