Ar lab report showing an elevated ALT level and an abnormal complete metabolic panel cause for concern?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i got a lab result of abnormal complete metabolic panel show 1 liver enzyme the alp at 66
normai up to 44 i recently he to the doctor because i had bronchitis high blood pressure elevated heart rate
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and welcome!

An ALT is only mildly elevated and if it the metabolic panel was taken while you were on Azithromycin, it may be attributable to that medication's affect on the liver.

In addition, diabetes and excess weight around one's abdomen is a risk factor for inflammation (elevated enzymes) from excess fat deposition in the liver.

I recommend repeating it in 6 weeks. In addition, any weight you can lose, even a few pounds, can help both the Type 2 diabetes and help your liver as well.

So an ALT of 66 is not dangerous but it is a sign that your liver has a bit of inflammation and the liver enzymes should be rechecked several weeks after you have recovered from your illness and are no longer taking medications.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh