Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Aortic valve replacement required. Triple bypass surgery done in the past. Has diabetes. Suggestion on quality of life after surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1988
Answered : 43 Questions
My father is 86 years old. In 1994 a tripple bypass and some kind of birth defect was found that was also repair (i believe in a valve). Currently he has minimal symptoms but his cardiologist has refered him to a surgeon for an valve replacement. He has told my father that without the surgery he has only 1 to 2 years of life left. My father also has type 2 diabetes in control and his weight is good. He currently has an active life and takes care of himself with minimum help from my sister. The Surgeon says that he has a 10% risk of dieing durring the surgery.
Our biggest concern is his quality of life after surgery.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 17 hours later
Thanks for the query.

There are certain details i would like to know before i can give you a proper advise. I want to know how long has he been a diabetic, the details of his echo and angiogram report.

You mentioned he has minimal symptoms ,i would like to know the details of his symptoms.

Severe coronary heart disease would definitely be an indication for surgery but like what your surgeon told you the fact that he is 86 increases the surgical risks.

Once surgery is done successfully he would be able to get back to all his activities more comfortably than what he does now.

The problem with surgery could mean risk to life and risk of stroke. In case a stroke develops the quality of life would be a major issue.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

with regards,

Dr. A. Gopi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor