Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello Doctor, This is XXXX aged 30 Years Male. Since 10 -12 months i have this small lump/boil near around the anal area for which i consulted a General Surgeon, he advised for a scan to confirm anal fistula. However i am worried and not ready for any surgical procedures as i understand fistula needs surgical intervention,also he advised to get the scan done in XXXXXXX memorial ,Queen road ,Bangalore , which is supposed to be good .But i am not really keen to get it done there as getting an appointment is a tough task & even if i get a appointment the wait time is around 3-4 hrs, which practically difficult for working professional like me.I need you help & advice on the below 1.Can you help get an priority appointment in XXXXXXX or suggest an alternative institute here i can get the scan done. 2.Is there a non surgical treatment for anal fistula. Kindly advice.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be simple boil or a skin tag ? Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I can understand your apprehension. You need to get a good clinical examination, we practically go for a scan when there is a complicated fistula only. Just to diagnose a fistula you may not need a scan. Even if you feel it essential you may go for any sonologist with high resolution scan and ask for a transanal and perianal usg. If confirmed fistula you will need surgery but there are minimally invasive procedures available but all depends on the primary clinical examination. I can help you decide the procedure if you get me the pictures and the transanal scan. Hope this helps Do write back in case of concern.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula? 23 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I have got the scan done & have uploaded all the scan reports.Kindly examine & advice if surgery is necessary & is there a non surgical treatment or do u think i can live with it. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs Surgical Intervention Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in again Have gone through your reports, It would be better if you go for a surgical intervention I would go for coring of the fistulous track along with a seton if the fibers of sphincter involved are sizeable Hope this helps Do write back in case of concern Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula? 8 hours later
Thank you doctor for the advice.What could be the cause for this fistula to occur & what are the chances that it will not recur. regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Most commonly secondary to perianal infoection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in again Most commonly the fistula are secondary to perianal infections But there are n number of causes which are beyond the scope of a forum to discuss Surgery if done perfectly in expert hands the recurrence is hardly 3-8 % Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor