Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Any medicine that can help alcohol withdrawal without knowledge of patient? Tried Librium

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hi, My husband seems like an alcohol addict. he never accepts that he drinks alcohol, so i couldn't get him for counselling / consultation. I read blogs and ask pharmacueticals about drugs that cure alcoholism. They said 'disufiram' works better. but i couldn't get it without prescription. Is there any other medicine which i can provide him (without his knowledge) for his alcohol withdrawal? I tried librium but its completely bitter in taste and couldn't provide him. Please help me with this problem.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 22 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I am sorry that your husband is addicted to alcohol.

The first treatment in alcohol de-addiction is making the person understand his problem. As a wife, it would be very difficult for you to make him understand this.

Disulfuram is generally used in alcohol de-addiction and withdrawal states. It is a prescription drug that needs to be prescribed by a physician.

There are few drugs available for alcohol de-addiction including Librium. All are prescription drugs.

Doing anything without his knowledge may not provide good results. Please try to talk to him about the problem and motivate him to consult a Psychiatrist. With repeated encouragement and hopes from you, he will eventually agree to consult one.

A psychiatrist will be able to help him better. You cannot do it alone by yourself. Patient's interest together with the family support can help the doctor to get him out of the alcohol addiction.

I hope this helps you.

Please write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor