Any chances of contracting HIV through anal sex?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi ,

In XXXXXXX 2011 I had gone to one of my relative's house and was with a boy of my age.
We slept at night together ,usually we practice only mutual masturbation(whenever we meet) but that night i got a bit excited and tried something different. I practiced oral sex on his penis just for 1 minute.Also he fingered my anus using vaseline. He tried to insert his penis from behind but he managed to penetrate only a little. Then we lost interest and mutually masturbated ejaculated and slept off.
Later I regretted doing this anal thing and started worrying that i have contracted HIV and so got tested 2 times after 6 months , once after 8 ,9,10 months luckily all tests came negative and I have not had sex inbetween but anally masturbated myself a daily using my fingers and objects in my room .I also worry that my unwashed fingers could carry HIV virus and transmit it through my anus during anal stimulation .Reason is that my fingers have touched doors and taps in common bathroom used by others .
I still worry about HIV infection and have lot of anxiety please help .

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Though there were chances of you contracting HIV infection with exposure to your relative whose HIV status is not known, the test has proved that you do not have the infection. Hence I do not think you should even worry about the episode of exposure to your relative.

Also there is no need to worry about you getting infected by masturbation. HIV virus if in external environment does not survive for more than a minute. Infection can only spread through fresh body fluid like blood or semen of an infected person. Hence you getting HIV infection with hands run around public bathrooms are very negligible to almost nil.

It’s always safe to wash hands before you masturbate to avoid simple bacterial infections.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for your help .

I sometimes feel that I have done great wrong by inserting my fingers and other objects in my anus though I find it pleasurable and exciting when done alongwith penis masturbation .

Is this a really wrong or risky thing to do as a boy ??

Would I ever get HIV by only self masturbation of my penis and anus ??

keeping in my mind that my fingers and the other objects I use are not used by others and are dry before use

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

You need not worry. Masturbation and inserting own fingers in anus do not pose any risk of HIV. There is not much wrong in doing that, you can continue if it is pleasurable to you. Do take care to wash your hands and the objects you use to prevent bacterial infections.

Avoid any sharp objects.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further guidance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health...