Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Any alternative to xanax and hydrocodone available?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6163 Questions
My MD of 15 years passed away unexpectedly and the physician who has taken on the practice refuses to prescribe the controlled substances - xanax and hydrocodone- for the anxiety disorder I was disgnosed with 25+ years ago and the chronic pain of gout 4+ years. She will not even prescribe a short term supply of medication until another MD can evaluate me. I'm almost out of meds for the 1st time in decades and without a MD. I'd appreciate suggestions for the short-term and on how to quickly find a quality MDO who treats both conditions.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: So sorry about this Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this situation you find yourself in. Controlled substances really scare doctors and some tend to shy away fro it rather than confronting the situation and working in the best interest of the patient. I cannot understand why a colleague would outrightly deny you medications that you have been taking for the past 10years without any concrete reasons. Unfortunately, only your doctor can prescribe these medications. They have no substitute that can be obtained over the counter. For the pains, a combination of tylenol and ibuprofen would offer some relief. Also, I am concerned about stopping xanax and hydrocodone abruptly because this can lead to severe withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor and plead with him to act fast before you get out of stock because the effects may be too much to handle. Also, ask him if he has gotten any substitutes. Tell him you simply want what would work for your conditions and whatever he thinks can do the job,, that's all you desire. He may have other ideas that he wants to go with. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor