Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Any alternate way to cure cataract other than operation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 140 Questions
Hi XXXXXXX I need to know is there any alternate way to cure cataract ? it is said that the only way is to operate. Kindly advise me on this. my 12 yr old brother has cataract (I heard that there is some liquid that cures it.) if there is one what is the approx. cost and can this be done anywhere in India. My preferred location would be Nagpur or Hyderabad.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 22 minutes later

There is no medicinal cure for cataract. Any medicine or liquid promising a cure to cataract has no scientific base. Therefore do not be lured by false claims. The only option is operation if it is a significant one obscuring your vision.

Your 12 yr old brother may be having developmental cataract. If the cataract is significant and vision is not improving with glasses then the definitive treatment is cataract surgery.

In Hyderabad you can undergo surgery at LV XXXXXXX Apollo Hospitals, Medivision, Centre for sight, etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Any alternate way to cure cataract other than operation? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX It may not be a technical term but doctor locally has checked and said my brother has 75% sight or his eyes are 75% OK with respect to cataract (I was not present during the check up so this is what I understood). Kindly tell me which lens would you recommend for this operation considering his age.

Thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar 18 hours later
I suggest "one piece acrysof hydrophobic acrylic IOL" - that should suit him.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor