Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Anxiety medication, fishy smell post sex, cold sores. Side effects of meth or STDs ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
Hi Ive been dating a lady,and when we make love there is XXXXXXX strong almost real fishy smell,she takes alot of anxiety medicine,says she always has insomniia and it helps her to sleep.she is very moody and sometimes very mean,she does not eat much at all having me convinced she is just a healthy eater,her teeth are always clean and white but pimples often on her face which she cleans frequently and moisturizes as well as her hands constantlly,often she gets cold sores and said it is due to stress from a recent divorse,what bothers me most is the smell of a lobster shell vagina,i have never expierienced this before and wondered if this is side effects from meth,i am scared,because i like her but do not want to be in arelationship with someone like this,she said the odor is from a chemical raction of the two of us having sex it is not normal for her to smell that way,with others can you please help me? thank you
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 20 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I think she is suffering from bacterial vaginosis.

In this normal vaginal flora are replaced by anerobic bacteria.

It can be associated with STD's so she should get her VDRL test done.

Vuvovaginitis and pruritis are common with Bacterial vaginosis.

This can be confirmed by positive whiff test by adding 10% KOH solution to the secretion.

For this test you have to visit a gynaecologist who will send the sample to the lab.

Detection of clue cells on microscopy is diagnostic.

pH paper can also be used , pH will be above 4.5 in this case.

Drugs which are given for the treatment are metronidazole and clindamycin , orally or vaginally.
Douching should be discouraged.

Probiotics can also help in reducing the symptoms to some extent.

You can ask any further question.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Anxiety medication, fishy smell post sex, cold sores. Side effects of meth or STDs ? 3 hours later
thank you for your answer,i am getting a physical tuesday and should i ask my doctor for any additional tests,besides hiv?i have no smell or discharge and dont know if this can be passed to men,or detected,i had unprotected sex with her for a year,and can i pass it to another woman say i marry without protection,i am a male that is 50,i noticed sometimes when wiping after going #2 a smell similar sometimes not often but kinda like that smell on the paper,she urinates alot like twice every half hour,is that associated with what she may have,i asked her once and she was very upset so i let it go thinking each woman may smell different,but our first intercourse it was very fish smellish,is it like v.d?and i do not know how to approach her with the news,she may say i gave it to her but as said it was very obvious in first sex,i notice it sometimes worst than others mainly not on the outside of her vagina but way up in her vagina .i have not had sex with anyone else,should i be aware of any thing i may tell my doctor or checked for any thing as said i appear and feel normal,thank you so much i feel so stupid asking,thank you
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 20 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks again.

Yes, you should get your HIV and VDRL test done.
Unprotected intercourse is bad when you are suspecting some infection in female partner. Most genital infections heal over a few days. Some might need antibiotics, while a few persists for long time. I would not be able to comment if you are infected and if you could pass it on to other women without knowing the nature of infection.

So I recommend you to get the examination and tests done. A course of antibiotics - metronidazole might be necessary.

It is better for both of you to talk about it and consult your doctors and go for the investigations.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor