Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Anomaly scan done during the 24 week pregnancy. Situs inversus totalis in the report. Can we continue pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
my wife under went a 24 week anomoly scan today and the scan says situs inversus totalis. Is it safe to continue pregnancy. can the child born lead normal life without any problems
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Situs inversus totalis is a condition where major visceral organs inside the body are reversed (mirrored). This is a rare condition. Example: heart is on right side,liver on left, spleen on right etc.. The child might be normal and compatible with life if no other anomalies are present. But some times it is associated with other congenital anomalies which need to be carefully ruled out.

There is possibility of some congenital anomalies. Some of them are heart defects like Transposition of great vessels (TGA), Kartagener's syndrome (ciliary dyskinesia) etc... Some of the anomalies are life threatening. Please get further investigations like Fetal echocardiogram and chromosomal analysis to be sure before decision is taken about continuing the pregnancy.

Please visit a fetal medicine specialist in your town who can guide you about how to go about evaluating the associated anomalies of situs inversus totalis.

Hope I have answered your query. please write back to me if you have further queries.

Wish you all the best

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor