Anomaly scan done during the 24 week pregnancy. Situs inversus totalis in the report. Can we continue pregnancy?
Thank you for posting your query.
Situs inversus totalis is a condition where major visceral organs inside the body are reversed (mirrored). This is a rare condition. Example: heart is on right side,liver on left, spleen on right etc.. The child might be normal and compatible with life if no other anomalies are present. But some times it is associated with other congenital anomalies which need to be carefully ruled out.
There is possibility of some congenital anomalies. Some of them are heart defects like Transposition of great vessels (TGA), Kartagener's syndrome (ciliary dyskinesia) etc... Some of the anomalies are life threatening. Please get further investigations like Fetal echocardiogram and chromosomal analysis to be sure before decision is taken about continuing the pregnancy.
Please visit a fetal medicine specialist in your town who can guide you about how to go about evaluating the associated anomalies of situs inversus totalis.
Hope I have answered your query. please write back to me if you have further queries.
Wish you all the best
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Situs inversus totalis and human chorionic gonadotropin
- Situs inversus totalis pregnancy
- Dextrocardia with situs inversus
- How can your treatment situs inversus totalis
- What are the chances of getting situs inversus totalis
- Dextrocardia situs inversus pregnancy
- Situs inversus and pregnancy
- What are the odds of getting situs inversus totalis
- Mayo clinic dextrocardia situs inversus totalis
- Pregnancy while having situs inversus