Ankle injury that immediately swelled and bruised. Swelling is a soft bump. Need to worry?

Posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in General Health
Question: I hit my ankle last night against a piece of furniture and it almost immediately became swollen and bruised. I can still walk on it without any pain, but even after doing RICE, it is still swollen today. What concerns me is that even though it was just my right ankle that I hit, now both of my ankles are swollen. The swelling is a soft bump adjacent to my ankles on the outside of the foot, about the size of a large grape. It's right next to the ankle on the side facing the toes, rather than closer to the heel. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later
Hi

I understand your query and concern.
The injured ankle may need a radiograph to check for fracture, if any. Even if not so, the orthopedic surgeon may advice rest for a while.
Reg the other ankle, its probably the injury to one leg that has brought the swelling to your notice. The way u describe looks like it is only fluid collection, which can be due to prolonged sitting aggravated by overweight or cardiac, kidney or liver problem.
All these may have to be addressed and your physician is the best person.
Kindly attend Aand E for the problem.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for any further queries.
Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan.

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 hours later
It doesn't hurt to walk on at all, so I doubt it is a fracture. Also, I know for certain that my ankles were not swollen like this prior to the injury. I shaved my legs several hours before the injury and saw no unusual swelling. This is definitely unusual and very noticeable swelling. Also, while I do have an office job, I am on my feet much of the day, not sitting. Do these factors change your assessment of the situation? I would rather avoid going to the doctor if it is not necessary, given that I am uninsured and a doctor's visit is very expensive.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later
Hi

I understand your situation.
Its hard to say without examination.
But if the swelling subsides on lying down and does not increase significantly, U may wait.

Get well soon.

Dr GS

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist