Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Angiogram,echocardiogram,panic attack,SOB,sharp chest pain,smoker

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
Hi 33 Had a hospital stay 2 weeks ago due to having SOB and pain in my chest. I am/was a smoker. Due to my family HX (Uncle on mom side had a heart attack when he was 36) Cardiologist Did an angio to be certian that nothing was going on along with an echocardiogram and a VQ scan (All Neg) I was discharged on July 6th (The DX was that I had had a Panic attack and the smoking was the reason for my SOB) and havent had a cigeratte at all since I was discharged. Now I am having SOB and sharp chest pain in the center of my chest as if I was punched. It comes and goes and only lasts no longer than 10 min. Is this something I need to go to the ER for? I Have a follow up with my Dr. On Thursday
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
SOB associated with pain in the chest can be caused by cardiac reasons but if these are all ruled out already then there is nothing serious to worry. Such a pain can be due to-
For the throbbing chest tightness under the left rib cage, three possibilities are coming to my mind, these include:
1)The first possibility is of pleuritis - You may have VIRAL BRONCHITIS. Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection. Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall. Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve your symptoms. See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.

2)The second possibility is of Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia or GERD. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.
You can ask your physician to rule out these causes after examination and proper investigations.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor