Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Anemic and having excessive bruise. CBC done for neutrophil and monocytes. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 384 Questions
I recently had a CBC which my doctor declared was normal. However, there were somethings that were classified as "Outside Normal Limits" on the side of the paper.

My total over all WBC was 10.1. It says normal range is 4.0-10.8.

Now, my neutrophils came up as 7.07 (normal range ending at 7.0)

And my Monocytes came up as 0.81 when normal ends at (0.80)

I live in Canada if that means anything in terms of standards. My doctor shrugged it off and has no plans to repeat. I have been having excessive bruising and am anemic. My levels in a previous CBC were much more normal. I've had my thyroid checked and it's normal.

Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 22 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us.
As far as your neutrophil and monocytes are concerned, it's normal. A slight variation is not something you need to be worried about as it varies on different individuals.
I would agree with your physician that a repeat test is not needed and this in no way is related to your bruising.
As far as the anemia is concerned, I hope you have been receiving the right treatment. For the bruising, has a platelet count and PT/APTT been done for you?
A diet XXXXXXX in iron (plenty of poultry, jaggery) can help the anemia.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor