Anemic. Test showed high AST and ALT level. Colonoscopy and endoscopy to be done. Suggestion?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I am a 50 year old female, 200 lbs 5'6" and my blood tests a week ago shows I'm anemic - 9.5 so I'm going in for a colonoscopy and endoscopy next month. All other levels were in the normal except my AST was 57 and my ALT was 55. Bilirubin, Alkaline Phos, Albumin - all normal. What does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic

AST and ALT are liver enzymes. They are normally present in the liver cells.
The normal limit of both enzymes is 0-40 IU/L.
Any damage to the liver cells releases the enzymes in blood and hence raises their levels. The damage can be different things Non alcoholic liver disease, medication use are common.
However, there is only a marginal increase in the level of both enzymes so there is nothing to worry.
See whether you have had a history of hepatitis in recent past. This rise can be the residual effect of hepatitis.
Whatever may be the reason the increase is not alarming.

Secondly, anemia at your age needs to be investigated.
You can also get a complete blood hemogram.
Anemia can be due to other reasons like iron deficiency, hemolysis, etc.

In case you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal