Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Anal fissure,lump,rectogesic cream,bleeding,infection,swelling,overweight

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
I was diagnosed with a anal fissure and an infected anal 'sinus' causing a largish lump near (behind) my anus (He said a pungent liquid would come from this and it would go down after a while). My doctor also told me that this was common and to use a rectogesic cream daily to stimulate blood flow and fix the fissure (I stopped using this a few days ago in case it was causing the bleeding, nothing seems to have changed though). On a recent trip i spent a lot of time sitting on a train and the pressure from the infection was annoying me. That evening i noticed some blood in my underwear and a bit of blood tinged clear fluid as well (i believe from my anus), no odor but the swelling had subsided dramatically. My question is that since then (2 weeks roughly) whenever i use the bathroom at the end i notice that the water is red and i have been bleeding quite a bit from the anus. The blood is bright red and there seems to be quite a bit when i wipe, is this part of the process as my doctor basically said it was fine but i am still concerned? I am 32, male, bit overweight, eat healthy, caucasian, overactive (i think) thyroid. I have had the fissure for approx 8 months but the anal sinus infection for only about 3 months.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

Anal sinus infection is not expected to bleed so much so as to cause reddening of the toilet water.

The watery discharge you had after the train journey was a discharge from the infected sinus which subsided the infection and you felt a relief.

The amount of bleeding you are having is definitely something which is alarming. It is most likely the bleeding anal fissures.

These need to be treated with drugs like calcium dobesilate and tranexaemic acid after examination by your treating physician.

Also keep on monitoring your hemoglobin levels as sometimes the bleeding from fissures is so heavy that it causes anemia.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Anal fissure,lump,rectogesic cream,bleeding,infection,swelling,overweight 1 hour later
Thank you for your time. I will book in with my GP again. I just wanted to check as i live in Rural Australia and a GP visit can be a few months wait.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Hello again,

I appreciate your concern towards health.

I understand your need.

Thanks again for writing in.

I will also be available for your future health related queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor