Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Am I pregnant if I have pain in shoulder and abdomen?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
Good Afternoon Mam age 28 weight 68 ,I am having continuos pain in right lower abdomen on pressing it hurts .Plus i have in right shoulder since two months .I am an acidity patient but since 3-4 months my togue is almost white .My periods have become from 5-6 days to 3-4 days and is a bit different than normal a bit wattery and dark.I feel tired and had a back pain fw days back .Thanks for the reply sir
My dates have been like this .I had physical relation with my partner on 4th and 5 th of feb (my dates were due but i had tablets to delay them)

I had i pill after that.My dates lasted from 7th to 10 th feb (not as heavy flow as i normall have)

Then dates were 5th to 7th march normal flow.
I had a relation on 18 march .19 march and had a ipill on 19 th .then 21 and 23 had a relation and again a ipill.

I had light periods that lasted from 26 th march to 29 march.
Since march i feel nausea and pain in abdomen ,acidity and at times bad taste .

In april dates were 24 to 27 april(first three days heavy flow)
in may 16 to 19 (heavy flow) XXXXXXX dates were from 8th to 11 and July 2-5 and a little spotting on 6th.

can it be ectopic as i have pain in lower abdomen right side increased after this month periods,pain in lower back and right shoulder .Still having pain i right abdomen ,the reports said (ultrasound on 27.06.11) small fluid in cul di sac .

i have pain in right shoulder and right side lower abdomen.
CAn it be ectopic ,please tell as though my periods are begular they have shifted from 24 days to 21 days cycle and from 5-6 days to 4 days .Although first threedays flow is heavy.

Will using a home prgegnacy kit at this stage help out to detect pregnancy .Kindly suggest if the fear is right or i am paniking and and due to tensions feel weak and tired .
Kindly suggest

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 24 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your symptoms suggests something like a pelvic infection.

You need to rule out Ectopic pregnancy and a possible Appendicitis.

You may do a home pregnancy test.

More accurate would be a blood pregnancy test.

Also do a complete blood count to look for evidence of infection.

Please get an ultrasound of the pelvis done.

Rather than using ipill, please use regular pills. They are safer and have less failure and Lesser harm.

You also need examination by a qualified gynaecologist.

Please get an ultrasound done urgently and XXXXXXX a gynaecologist.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Am I pregnant if I have pain in shoulder and abdomen? 1 hour later
Mam thanks for the reply .

Is the ultrasound of the pelvis a regular abdomen ultrasound or different .Can a normal abdominal ultrasound detect ectopic. My ultrasound says fluid in cul de sac (smalll amount)What are the chances that i have ectopic and is this constant pain in right side (lower abdomen ) and at times in right shoulder possible in infection.

Its 3 months now will a home pregnancy test detect pregnancy if its an ectopic ,Mam i am tensed as the pain is increasing .I was given ORNI-O FOR INFECTION. General physician inspected me and said its PID .Took a one week course but pain increased after that .I need to go to motion 4-5 times a day these days.I dont feel like eating .let me mention i got cough cold fever which may be the reason and i am tensed too for a broken marriage .

MAm is it possible that I had regular periods all these days(though the number of days were less and the colour was bit dark and watery .earlier i had flesh lump sort of things in my period which has reduced now ) still it can be ectopic.Are periods possible in ectopic.

Mam it wont be possible right now to get a blood test done .Will a normal abdominal US and a home test suffice and prove the results.

What are the percentage that u suspect that its ectopic and how long does an ectopic survive .Kindly reply as i am already very tensed regarding ectopic.Is fluid in cull de sac i sign of ectopic .Can i send u my US report plz .

Waiting for yur reply.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 39 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

You need to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound scan, it is more specific than abdominal ultrasound.

An abdominal ultrasound can detect Ectopic pregnancy, but as I said Transvaginal route is much better and more reliable and accurate.

The chances of ectopic are very low, may be about 1 percent.

Your pain can be due to PID and is classical. Pain in right shoulder is not related to PID.

You can always get a home pregnancy test done. A home pregnancy test may not detect early pregnancy.

Minimal spotting may be possible in Ectopic pregnancy but not like the normal menstrual flow.

Most probably Your symptoms suggests PID.

If you have fever and pain you should receive antibiotic injections.

Minimal bleeding is often seen with Ectopic pregnancy.

I suggest you to do serum beta hcg, transvaginal ultrasound and consult a gynaecologist at the earliest for clinical examination and evaluation.

Both PID and Ectopic pregnancy need immediate attention.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Am I pregnant if I have pain in shoulder and abdomen? 4 hours later
Thanks Mam

Will be visiting the gyno in a day or two .U h home pregnancy test cannot detect early pregnancy but its now 3 and a half months so is it possible that in case if its ectopic the results will be accurate or the levels wll be tooooooo low to be detected.

i still dint get the answer what does "Small fluid in cul de sac mean" as it was told by my sonologist .

I nearly had a normal period as told earlier but instead of 5-6 days its 3-4 dyas the flow though is heavy but i dont get those flesh like things in period which i used to get earlier.

One more thing i feel something heavy on my right side like a lump when i pass motion ,sit or walk and its continuous as if something is moving inside.Can it be possible due to PID and does pid cause storng continuous pain.My doc gave me orni o .Is it ok .

a physician told me that in ectopic sincle the foetus is not in the womb its is possible to have normal periods also .Is it true as this is what net also tells.

The more i think the more pain i feel .fever was seasonal not due to PID.

MAm in case its ectopic are there medicinies that will work at this stage nearly 4 months or surgery is the only option.

The only option y i feel its ectopic is i have a bad tastee feel like vomiting early morning(acidity ) and pain in right lower abdomen .Can it be due to other reasons or i am paniking of ectopic.

Plz answere abt fliuid in cul de sac as my report say "smalll fluid in cull de sac " and i dont hav that white discharge tht i used to get earlier.

Is it possible tht u hve pid and dont get white discharge?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 47 hours later

The small amount of fluid could be due to ovulation. As the follicle ruptures the egg along with perifollicular fluid gets accumulated in the most dependent part of the body in female, i.e cul-de-sac.

Fluid is normally present, also in ectopic or infection. There is no means to varify it. Its only
predictive with other symptoms. Alone is not indicative .

PID can occur without white discharge. Orni o (an antibiotic) will reduce or eliminate pelvic
infection if any. A chronic ectopic may last several months. The treatment of such ectopics can be medical management with medicine though sometimes it requires surgery to drain it out.

A negative blood pregnancy test (Serum Beta HCG) excludes it. This is a better way than believing in anything that is not substantial. If a test can eliminate your anxiety and answer the still left out questions, I would recommend it. Get Serum Beta HCG Quantitative and report to your doctor.

Hope these answer your queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor