Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Always sweating, difficulty sleeping. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
Hello I am a 28 years old and I sweat all the time I can be driving down the road with the air on and still be pouring sweat it will be running down my arm it is so bad that when I go to church I have to take a change of clothes because I'm soaked it doesn't matter if I'm wearing long sleeves or short the results are the same I wear an under shirt to try and help soak some of it up but it doesn't work and if I'm wearing long sleeves it will be soaked all the way down my arms and from my pits half way to my waist also I don't sleep good at night cause I'm waking up with my pillow and sheets being soaked with sweat and I have to box fans on high blowing directly on me to try and keep me cool I have tried every deoderant that you can get over the counter what should I do
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 38 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. The first thing that needs to be ruled out are secondary causes of excessive sweating, such as hyperthyroidism, diabetes. chronic neurologic conditions, chronic infections like tuberculosis or hematologic problems including lymphoma. After these and perhaps others are ruled out by further history, physical examination and basic investigations, then we may have a diagnosis of exclusion called primary hyperhydrosis, a condition in which sweat glands overact in the absence of a heat stimulus. It has been associated with an excessive function of the small nerves that guide the function of the glands. If this is the condition, there are several medications that can be tried as a first line agent for such patients, such as oxibutinin, benztropine and glycopirrolate. Some patients do respond. In others, especially those devastated by excessive generalized sweating and social lifestyle interference, some surgical procedures can be considered, the most common and effect an thoracic ganglion sympathectomy.

Hope that helps as a guideline, I would probably see a neurologist as a first start.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor