Alteration of taste, using smokeless tobacco, irritation while chewing. Allergy or any risk?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in General Health
Question: I started to use smokeless tobacco.
I chew it but I keep my dietary as well, and I want to know if it is better to not eat before or after the tobacco. I also use Listerine and brush my teeth regularly. The thing is that when I chewed it taste like salt a different taste than when I used before. I notice that my mouth is getting irritated when I start chewing. Can it be an allergy or I am at a greater risk?
I have't used to much and just started for the first time last week. should I worry?
Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Chewing tobacco is mainly responsible for the irritation of oral mucosal lining and alteration of taste that you are having. Tobacco itself is a strong irritant and prediposes you to oral ulcers and cancers.
Taking a good diet does not affect the local effects it produces on the oral mucosa.
Taking food before or after consuming tobacco does not affect its absorption as it is absorbed through oral mucosa. Your symptoms are suggestive of you having a greater risk towards oral pathologies.
Since you are not a chronic user, it is best to restrict its use to the minimum for your better health.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
"I'm having trouble with my firewall in case you see this message more than once."

I forgot to tell you, that I used to smoke cigars. Could this make me more venerable?

Thanks,
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
I mean cigarrets not cigars.
It is normal while chewing the tobacco to taste other than tobacco and more like salt?

thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Smoking cigarettes do make you more prone to lung related problems rather than oral mucosal irritation.
Alteration in the taste is not a normal finding. It is indicative of damage of oral mucosa and the nerve endings due to the irritation caused by tobacco.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.