Alt reading of 135 and fibroscan was 10.3 kPa. Serum

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Alt reading of 135 and fibroscan was 10.3 kPa. Serum feretin level of 825. Diagnosed with NAFLD. should i stop drinking completely?. Drink around 20 units per week at the moment. Excercise by cycling 8 miles a day. Don't smoke and healthy diet.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should stop drinking completely

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Your results indicate significant inflammation and fibrosis of the liver already. The main treatment for NAFLD is weight loss if you are overweight. We usually recommend losing 5-7% of your body weight at a rate of 0.5 to 1 kg per week through diet and exercise. If that is not successful after 6 months, bariatric surgery or medications to help lose weight may be discussed. Also, if you have diabetes, there are certain medications that can be better for the liver than others.

It is very important for you not to drink alcohol. The amount of damage alcohol has on your liver is proportional to the amount you drink, but at this point any alcohol intake is going to affect your liver and likely worsen the inflammation and fibrosis.

It may be that eventually you will develop cirrhosis from this disease, but with weight loss and abstaining from alcohol, hopefully you can prevent the disease from progressing to this for as long as possible.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to help any way I can.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana