Almost loss of voice after thyroid surgery. What is recovery possibility?

Posted on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Question: Almost loss of voice after thyroid surgery What is recovery possibility
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to say.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem one thing that I will tell you is that it is one of the complications of thyroid surgery . The recovery will depends on where exactly the damage has happened; on the voice cord itself or is a nerve damaged.

Generally nerve damage which supplies the vocal cords has a less chance of recovery . But if the vocal cord damage is leading to voice loss then Speech therapy remians the most time tested and best option . Full recovery may take up to 6 months at least .

I will advise you to see your ENT specialist and ascertain the injury and act accordingly . However speech therapy is highly recommended in every case.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist