Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Allergic to Vitiman C. Taking citrizine if skin gets irritated. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 77 Questions
My grand mother is allergitic to Vitiman C. If she has any thing which has vitiman c her skin get itrritated and she has to take citrizine.

Please advice appropriate measures for her.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 14 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

For treating any allergy, most important step is to avoid the allergen... In your grandmother's case is food items XXXXXXX in vitamin C.

I would advise her to avoid food items XXXXXXX in Vitamin C like citrus fruits like oranges etc and amla. In case she has allergy with any particular food item, she needs to take anti histamines like cetrizine. Other symptomatic treatment like steroid may be taken in case of severe reactions.

Hope this helps... Do let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Allergic to Vitiman C. Taking citrizine if skin gets irritated. Any suggestion? 1 hour later

She is already following the tips like avoiding the fruits and vegetable which has Vitiman C.

She has blood pressure and a heart patient . She is already avoiding lot of things due to these.

Basically her choise of food intake is verylimited.

Can you suggest any way where we can reduce these allergies?
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 6 hours later


Allergic condition is quite bothersome in many patients and I understand your grandmother would also be facing plenty of issues due to this allergies.

Though not many have succeeded in treating allergies, there is a process of desensitisation that can be tried to reduce allergic symptoms to a particular allergen. In this procedure we expose the patient to allergen in very small doses, very slowly and increase the dose over a period of time. It is a trial where gradual / slow exposure can sensitize the body to the allergen and symptoms can improve/prevent allergic symptoms in future.

Your grandmother should consult an allergy specialist and immunologist in your nearby area. He/she can guide her through the process of desensitization.

In the meanwhile it is essential that she continues avoiding vitamin C and vitamin c XXXXXXX foods as discussed. Acute attacks can be managed with antihistamines and steroids.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing your grandmother a speedy recovery

Dr Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor