Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

All the time sweating. Was taking alcohol detox. Stress and depressed. Taking mirtazapine olanzapine and beta blocker. Bleeding from anus. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 93 Questions
hi there my name is XXXXXXX and i am writing about a quite a few things i hope i can get some help with it. first of all i am sweating all the time and clammy this has been going on for last few weeks and has got worse last few days. i was in an alcohol detox a month ago and did go back for one night a couple of weeks ago as i was still not feeling great. they gave me more fluids and clordiazoxopide and pabrinex and discharged me following day. i did take up smoking for a while but have now given up. i was never a heavy smoker.i was an alcoholic in past from 17 to 23 i am now 29 it was stupid of me to touch it again. i have been through lots of stress and grief over years and was getting bored lonely depressed . i suffer from depression and anxiety. and am on tablets mirtazapine olanzapine and a beta blocker for high blood pressure and racing heart which i don't know if it is anxiety related.i will never touch another fag or drink again. the other thing was i keep getting dizzy spells and faintness with a tunnel like vision and everything seems unreal detached dream like it happened again when i was in hospital the second time but have had it lots of times in past before that been going on now for about 9 months every now and then. i have also been given vitamin b and was on thiamine but all used up now. i have also been having poor sleep where i cant move or feel like i am going to die or go in a coma etc i am also having nightmares and don't know where i am when wake up. i feel very unrefreshed. i also cant sleep at for the drink i only binged it a few times again every few days for about two weeks i don't know what made me so ill if it was me drinking too much after 6 years abstinence or if it was acute withdrawals or dts or it made me mentally worse or cause i drunk on top of my meds all my bloods were fine so no damage to liver ect.I was put in resus and then on to an acute ward then on to short stay then discharged. so hope you can help me out with that. I also keep feeling tired lethargic and drowsy and have episodes of confusion. and feel spaced out. i have had a few times bleeding from anus when going to toilet but only now and then had quite a bit of diarrea yesterday. please could you help me with all this hope to hear from you soon thanks a lot i am male white british 5ft 10 about 12 stone.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 2 hours later

Thank you for your queries and welcome to our site.

I understand that you have been through a lot of stress and grief. It is common but unfortunate that people turn to vices like alcohol and smoking as a means of escape only to find out later that these cause even more.

First, let me summarize into a few points your very complex problem:
1) after six years of abstinence from alcohol, you recently had episodes of binge drinking which caused you to be hospitalized (with clear blood tests) and underwent detoxification
2) a couple of weeks ago, you went back because you weren't feeling well and they hydrated you and gave you chlordiazexopide and pabrinex
3) you have a host of symptoms that include derealization, depression, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, palpitations, intense fears, sweating, and diarrhea with some blood in the stool a few times.

It is very possible that you are suffering from one of the three conditions: 1) a protracted form of alcohol withdrawal, 2) a drug interaction of your medications and alcohol, 3) or early hepatic failure. I would suggest that you see a gastroenterologist or an XXXXXXX medicine specialist as soon as possible to help you manage this complex problem. He/she will order some more blood tests just to make sure that the results are still normal and some imaging studies including an ultrasound of your abdomen, particularly your liver to look for signs of damage. All three are very manageable if caught early on so I would really advise that you seek medical care as soon as you can.

Also, XXXXXXX this may seem difficult but I know that you can do it: stay away from the alcohol. Alcoholism really is a problem and I am glad that you are self-aware and have been able to abstain from alcohol for six years. This is good because you have done it before and you can do it again. Temptations and occasional slips will be there but with good support groups like your friends and family, I know you can manage to live clean once and for all.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Take care and I wish you all the best! Persevere, Elliot! :)

Dr. Galera

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: All the time sweating. Was taking alcohol detox. Stress and depressed. Taking mirtazapine olanzapine and beta blocker. Bleeding from anus. Could I ask a doctor? 3 hours later
hi dr galera thanks for reading my mail it was helpful could you please let me know what I should do about these symptoms do I have to go to my gps or to the hospital or ring up nhs direct, call an ambulance or what ect and how long until I should do that. also how long would you think these withdrawal symptoms last or what damage has drinking on top of my meds done. can it be serious. also can early hepatic failure be serious and is that to do with the liver.could you let us know what think hope to hear from you soon XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 6 hours later
Hi Elliot! Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

For the moment, you may need medications to manage your symptoms. I would suggest that, you set up an appointment with your GP as early as you can. He/she will know what tests need to be done and how to manage you and which specialties you need to be referred to if necessary. It may be possible that you must be hospitalized for a few days especially if your GP sees your case as moderate to severe depending on his/her examinations and your test results.

Withdrawal symptoms typically last a few days to a few weeks but some can last for months. It all depends on the drinking episodes and the number of years you were dependent on alcohol. Also, the risk for more severe and life-threatening symptoms increases as you undergo more detoxifications from binge drinking that's why I have to stress that you have to stop drinking at all costs.

The medications interacting with alcohol may have damaged either your kidneys or your liver but tests have to be done to be sure as you are taking quite a number and their interactions can be complex. Early hepatic failure (which can also result from the drug interactions as I mentioned) is the dysfunctioning of the liver which can be due to chemicals (alcohol and drug toxicities), infections(hepatitis), and others. Since your liver is the primary organ for detoxifying chemicals and also stores an energy source for the body, an accumulation of harmful substances can occur in your blood which can spread to the rest of your organs. It can be quite serious if not managed early that's why you have to see your doctor soon.

I am not familiar how long it would take you to set an appointment and actually see your GP. However, if you, at any point, feel that the symptoms are progressing - you develop fever, severe shaking, or even a seizure - do not hesitate to go to the emergency room for urgent care.

I hope I was able to answer your queries! Please get back to me if you have any additional ones.

Take care!

Dr Galera
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: All the time sweating. Was taking alcohol detox. Stress and depressed. Taking mirtazapine olanzapine and beta blocker. Bleeding from anus. Could I ask a doctor? 15 hours later
hi dr galera thanks for your reply I went to see a gp today and he is arranging a test with a gastroentoligist I think it is a camera up the colon if I am right he never said about a liver or abdomen scan could I ask them to do this when I go to see the specialist? also he never spoke about if it is reaction to meds or about alcohol withdrawal so does that mean it is more likely than not nothing in that area? is it more likely my stomach or bowels ect?also is it right that I should only go back to docs or up hospital if things got worse or fever shaking or fits? also I have to have some bloods done tomorrow purple top Edta and red / gold topit says order of draw at bottom of sheet blue red green purple grey. thanks for reading this and does all this sound right? have they missed something or will my other organs still be affected? when would it be best to see someone again if feeling ill or worse? hope to hear from you soon XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 22 minutes later

I am glad that you were able to see a GP so soon and that he is arranging a meeting with a gastroenterologist. Thank you for updating me, I appreciate it.

Were you able to tell him everything that you have told me so far during your consult? Based on your discussion with him and his examination, he may have found something that warrants the colonoscopy.

As much as I want to help you, XXXXXXX I am at an unfortunate disadvantage because I cannot physically examine you as in a true consult. It may be, as your GP sees it, more of a problem in your stomach or bowels but that is why they requested blood work and other tests to make sure. So I would urge you that you take the chance to talk to your GP and your specialist. Share with them the things you told me even the unusual feelings and your past problems. Do not be afraid to ask them questions too so that you can understand what they are thinking and planning as well. You may ask them if the abdominal scan would be a necessary test.

I also apologize but I am not quite familiar with the "order of draw at bottom of sheet.. XXXXXXX This may be a specific system used in your country.

Yes, if at any time, you find that symptoms are progressing (the ones I mentioned before are the common ones, sometimes they may differ between individuals so just be extra observant of what you are experiencing) or that you are feeling worse, do not hesitate to seek medical care.

I hope I was able to address your concerns adequately. If you have further queries, please feel free.

Take care!

Dr. Galera
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor