Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed lustral. Is lustral safe?
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Before going to detailed management a brief summary of problem-
Your son is suffering from OCD and other medical history is non significant. He is also an alcoholic and he was on detox treatment and on 9th day he suffered episodes of Grandmal Seizure. He is currently on Citalopram and doctors has advised to start Lusteral or Sertaline in place of citalopram.
Now coming to management.
I would like to reassure that if his seizures occurred only during the detoxification then these are not true epileptic seizures. These seizures occurred because of absence of alcohol in brain. Alcohol is a brain depressant and continued presence of alcohol in brain depresses brain. When during detoxification alcohol is not present in brain a state of disinhibition occurs and seizures may get precipitated. This is the reason that librium or chlordiazepoxide is given to patents in detox treatments. Librium prevents any seizure and makes individual calm. So if he had seizure during detox treatment only they were definitely Rum Fits. Even in such seizures conventional anti epileptic drugs are not used. So practically there is no risk in giving Lustral 50 mg in his case.
Now coming to Lustral or Sertaline. It is an SSRI drug. Citalopram is also and SSRI drugs. Theoretically both drugs have some potential to cause seizures. In various studies the risk of seizure with SSRIs is about 0.2%. The risk is in high doses. Dose range of sertaline is 50-150 mg, your son will be taking only the minimal doses so there is no increased risk of seizure if we compare the dosing with Citalopram.
So as per my experience shifting to Lustral from Citalopram will not increase the risk of seizure. The risk is almost equal to any normal person. You can go for Setaline if his Psychiatrist want to.
If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from seizures family history of seizures need treatment
- Are child s seizures related to depression and drinking cola
- What is the remedy for headache depression and seizures
- Am i suffering from seizures
- Diagnosed with ocd is it safe to take anti depressants
- Common ocd thoughts and depression
- Petit mal seizures and depression
- Depression after petit mal seizures
- Suffer repeated seizures what can cause seizures in brain
- Suffered seizures prescribed zefretol and frisium continue this tablets
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?