Alcoholic. Suffering from abdominal pain and gastritis. Is this related to liver problem?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Dear Doctor, I am XXXXXXX, 35 years Age, off recent I am suffering pain in my Lower abdomen & right side of my stomach. I am suffering from Gastric problem from almost 8 years. I am alcoholic, I take daily 60 to 90 Ml whisky, Off recent I am noticing bad breath & little posture (It will be white in color) on my tongue.
Sir, Is this problem because of my drinking habit / some thing else, If it is related to Liver problem, If so whom should i contact & how to treat this. What precaution I am suppose to take to control this pain.

Please revert ASAP, I need your assistance.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

The pain on the right side of the abdomen could be due to peptic ulcer disease, hepatitis or cholecystitis .

Since you have the habit of drinking alcohol, it is most likely to be due to alcoholic gastropathy. Drinking alcohol can affect the liver and also the other organs like pancreas.

Bad breath may be due to poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, sinus issues, lung, liver, kidney issues and sometimes due to acid reflux. The food you eat especially garlic and onion also can affect your breath.

You need to consult a gastroenterologist for further evaluation of your abdominal pain and to assess the status of liver. You may require liver function test and ultrasound scan of the abdomen for assessment of your liver function.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini