Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic. Suffering from abdominal pain and gastritis. Is this related to liver problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1825 Questions
Dear Doctor, I am XXXXXXX, 35 years Age, off recent I am suffering pain in my Lower abdomen & right side of my stomach. I am suffering from Gastric problem from almost 8 years. I am alcoholic, I take daily 60 to 90 Ml whisky, Off recent I am noticing bad breath & little posture (It will be white in color) on my tongue.
Sir, Is this problem because of my drinking habit / some thing else, If it is related to Liver problem, If so whom should i contact & how to treat this. What precaution I am suppose to take to control this pain.

Please revert ASAP, I need your assistance.

Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

The pain on the right side of the abdomen could be due to peptic ulcer disease, hepatitis or cholecystitis .

Since you have the habit of drinking alcohol, it is most likely to be due to alcoholic gastropathy. Drinking alcohol can affect the liver and also the other organs like pancreas.

Bad breath may be due to poor oral hygiene, dry mouth, sinus issues, lung, liver, kidney issues and sometimes due to acid reflux. The food you eat especially garlic and onion also can affect your breath.

You need to consult a gastroenterologist for further evaluation of your abdominal pain and to assess the status of liver. You may require liver function test and ultrasound scan of the abdomen for assessment of your liver function.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor