Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic. Have elevated SGPT with normal liver level. Is melastomataceae osbeckia octandra extract safe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Dear Doc...

I have elevated SGPT 143 with normal liver protein levels. . I do consume alcohol 4-5 times per week. Per day around 200-250ml. Is Melastomataceae Osbeckia octandra extract (juice) a good option to bring down SGPT. If so, how often/quantity should I drink this and how can I prepare this. Awaiting your kind answer.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Alcohol consumption is one of the most common cause for elevation of SGPT in a person and no matter whatever medicine or herbal preparation or fruit juice is consumed by the person,the elevated levels of SGPT won't come down unless and until ,one stops drinking alcohol completely.
There is no medicine which can cure the ill effects of excessive alcohol consumption.
Quit alcohol completely.
Consume more of fresh fruits and green vegetables.
Avoid junk foods and colas.
Do regular aerobic exercises for 45 minutes a day.
Your SGPT levels would become normal in next 4 to 6 months time with these simple measures.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor