Alcoholic. Found swollen eyes and marks around eyes and cheek. On welbutrin. Any solution?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: how much does this cosT?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     24 year old male (son of client)
•     History of alcohol intake on Saturday night followed by swollen eyes and marks around eyes/cheek.
•     On treatment with welbutrin.

Hope I have understand your query from medical history.

Welbutrin contain Bupropion. Bupropion used for anxiety, depression and to decrease craving for smoking. It do not cause any reaction with alcohol. If his only face has such marks then there is more possibility of trauma due to fall or fight.

It is better to call some of his friend to get information. Even you can take him to general physician to rule out injuries.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
There was absolutely no fall or fight with my son. Could the swollen face and small splotchy marks around his eyes and face be an allergic reaction to the alcohol he drank?
Kindest regards,
XXXXXXX
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

If he was drinking alcohol in past also then it is less likely due to alcohol.

But as he has started welbutrin recently we should suspect allergic reaction to welbutrin or other substance taken with alcohol.

Wish you good health.
Regards.