Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic. Feeling uncomfortable in head. What is this and how to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
My boyfriend is an alcoholic..he says he feels his head has changed that he has a room in his head , a void that a door has opened..what does this mean? He is under cure for alcoholism and his liver is three times the norm, he has been in re-hab a lot. But says his head has changed that he needs to talk to a doctor.
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 18 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

These symptoms which you have mentioned could be indicative of a a psychiatric problem called "psychosis", where there can be unreal perceptions or beliefs about oneself. There is also a possibility that he may be having going through a depression, which is why he feels empty and feels no stimulation or motivation. These psychiatric problems are very common in alcohol dependence, and are frequently seen as part of the withdrawal phase.

I would advise you to take him to a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. There are effective medication available which can control his symptoms and early initiation of treatment will avoid developing severe symptoms or complications.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor