Owl Image

Alcoholic. Feeling uncomfortable in head. What is this and how to get relief?

Psychiatrist
Question
My boyfriend is an alcoholic..he says he feels his head has changed that he has a room in his head , a void that a door has opened..what does this mean? He is under cure for alcoholism and his liver is three times the norm, he has been in re-hab a lot. But says his head has changed that he needs to talk to a doctor.
YYYY@YYYY
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 18 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

These symptoms which you have mentioned could be indicative of a a psychiatric problem called "psychosis", where there can be unreal perceptions or beliefs about oneself. There is also a possibility that he may be having going through a depression, which is why he feels empty and feels no stimulation or motivation. These psychiatric problems are very common in alcohol dependence, and are frequently seen as part of the withdrawal phase.

I would advise you to take him to a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. There are effective medication available which can control his symptoms and early initiation of treatment will avoid developing severe symptoms or complications.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist