Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Alcohol addict. Suggest medicine to stop drinking?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
hi, my husband seems like alcohol addict as he drinks till he drowns himself, can any medicine stop him drinking alcohol as he is consuming, or make him to vomit , so that he can stop drinking.he is very abusive and uncontrolable. please suggest come medicine to make him stop consuming ........itself.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I understand your concern, it is very difficult to manage when dependence to alcohol occurs. The patient drinks excessively, gets intoxicated often, neglects alternate pleasure or duties, body starts showing symptoms of withdrawal like tremors etc. If the duration of intake or amount of intake is very high then stopping alcohol all of a sudden can be deleterious as well. The body starts to react and if severe it may lead to symptoms like delerium and seizures.

There is no medicine to make a person stop drinking while he is actively drinking.The person has to willfully stop drinking. Most deaddiction centers don't admit patients till the patient himself is ready to quit. When he stops drinking, there are medicines to control the withdrawal symptoms like seizures or tremors. There are medicines that can be given to reduce craving for alcohol but these are given after the person is detoxified and stops taking alcohol. There are also medicines that cause a severe reaction to alcohol to cause aversion but this drug is XXXXXXX It is given with the patient's consent only after the patient is motivated enough to quit alcohol. This drug can be life threatening if taken with alcohol and is prescribed by a doctor in person after thorough psychological and medical assessment since the drug also has side effects.

What you can do is to get your husband first to a general hospital for a physical check up if he is not ready to go to a deaddiction center and get his liver function and a ultrasound abdomen (or few more tests as per treating doctors advice) done since this is necessary in every person taking excess levels of alcohol. And try to make a note of any harm that the alcohol is causing him and try to motivate him to quit by explaining and making him realize this. Making him aware of the harm that alcohol causes him will definitely make a difference.

I hope this helps,
Wishing you all the best,
Don't lose hope or stop trying,

Dr A Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Alcohol addict. Suggest medicine to stop drinking? 42 minutes later
hi, is there any way to make a person vomit while drinking so that he will not feel desire for drinking more, it is said water added with salt solution can clear the persons stomach of excess liquor. so pls suggest me some remedies so that the person dislike liquor, himself.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back,

What you are referring to is aversion therapy where alcohol is associated with an unpleasant stimulus in a structured manner by a qualified clinical psychologist. This technique is usually the last option used even by the therapists.

Regarding the salt solution and water that you have read, it acts as an emetic to induce vomiting, it is a lifesaving first aid remedy that is used in emergency situations in case of alcohol or other poisoning before you can reach the hospital. It can cause severe gastritis when the alcohol is regurgitated and also aspiration which can lead to hence best done in a hospital with all necessary equipment.

Kindly consult a psychiatrist nearby.
I hope this answers your question,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Alcohol addict. Suggest medicine to stop drinking? 14 hours later
hi is there any other way which can caause my husband to hate liquor by himself , or to limit the intake of pegs he is consuming without his knowledge, because he is very violent while drinking and uncontrollable, it makes us very very helpless. kindly suggest any such method which is safe and fast working if the person is actively drinking. there are certain remedies to sober up the person ang get control over , let me know if any such, safe method is there. he usually is in a controlled manner, but once he starts drinking, he remember everything about past and relives the moment with a change response,. please help me to control him........
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back,

I understand your concerns and I know it is not easy to handle a person with alcohol dependence. From the history you give, it sounds like your husband has crossed over the stage of occasional drinking and entered stage of dependence where the most prominent problem seen is denial to accept the existence of a problem. The more they are asked to stop drinking the more fights it causes. No matter how obvious the problem seems to others, the alcohol dependent person repeatedly denies that drinking is responsible for his problems, and also usually blames the situation or people around him for his drinking.

I’m afraid there is no method that can cause your husband to hate alcohol by himself, or to limit the intake without his knowledge. He is violent and uncontrollable when he is in an intoxicated state. The only safe and fast working way to stop a person from drinking alcohol is by keeping him away from the alcohol and not letting him drink, there is no other way. We cannot make a person stop drinking alcohol, all we can do is encourage and help them to make changes. The only way to get control over an intoxicated person is to either inject him with appropriate medications (at a hospital) or to physically restrain him (with precautions). The way to sober up a person is to wait till the effect of alcohol wears out of his body.

Here are a few tips that may help you:
Talk to him calmly when he is completely sober. Tell him seriously about the problems his drinking is causing. Listen to what he has to say. Find out how he feels about his drinking, and in what way the alcohol helps him. Do not get into arguments with him; it will make it more difficult for him open up to you about things thereafter. Do not nag or accuse him regarding it. Be consistent in what you say¬ do not keep changing your mind about what you're saying and do not say one thing and do the contrary. Be clear about what you expect from him, what behavior you will not accept from him. Discuss this with the other members of the family so that everyone’s attitude and approach is the same towards him. Do not try to hide consequences of his drinking and don’t help him or enable him in any way to get alcohol, may it be indirect.

Coping with your feelings of anger and resentment will not be easy. Try not to misdirect your anger on others, especially children who can be seriously affected by it. Keeping a healthy home life will really help drinker’s recovery.

We have seen many patients with similar problems. Patients with alcohol dependence usually need rehabilitation in a professional set up. Kindly get in touch with a psychiatrist or a psychiatric social worker for any assistance.

I hope this answers your question,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor