Airborne allergy test shows allergic to dust. Uvula is hanging low. When will it go back to normal?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm doing better generally. The uvula is still hanging low but is not as inflamed as it was last week. I had airborne allergy testing done and am allergic to dust/ dust mites and Bermuda grass. Doctor thought there was no correlation between allergies and uvula and throat. I will do a swab for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and viruses on Monday and see what the result is. It is unusual for me to be sick and especially for this long. No one knows why the uvula is the way it is. The big suspicion is an infection. So the question is when will it go back to normal?
I'm taking vitamin c, b complex, astragalus, ashwaganda, turmeric and lots of probiotics to boost the immune system.
What do you think?
Thank you for checking In with me again
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for following up.

1. It is good to hear that it is subsiding.

2. Any allergy should be easily controlled by anti-allergic medication.

3. A negative swab may be seen in viral infections. Viral infections tend to hold their course and you should recover soon. bacterial infection, if detected are easily treated with a culture and sensitivity report.

4. I have seen such uvulitis in patients who snore, due to the fluttering of the soft palate and uvula. Mouth breathing while snoring may cause this.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.