Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking for suggestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15003 Questions
When I wake up in the morning the hearing in my left ear is impaired. Some short time after getting up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves - but not quite back to normal.
I also find that finger pressure below the ear or in front of the ear can impair my hearing. This is not always present and does not always occur at the same location
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

The symptoms that you are describing can occur due to different conditions. One of these is Eustachian tube dysfunction.

The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear with the back of the throat. It is responsible for clearing and drainage of secretions from the middle ear to the pharynx (back of the throat) and also for regulating pressure and ventilation (aeration) of the middle ear. Abnormal Eustachian tube function (impaired opening or closing / impaired clearance of secretions) can cause changes within the middle ear which can lead to hearing loss, fullness in the ears, muffled sound, popping noise, pain, ringing in the ears, problems with balance and other complications. Excessive mucus production as a result of a cold, flu, sinus or allergy can lead to this Eustachian tube dysfunction. Careful examination of ear, nose and throat is needed to identify the cause.

This condition is not serious though and usually resolves on its own. There are some Eustachian tube exercises which you may have already been doing without realising. These include swallowing, yawning, chewing gum, blowing with mouth shut and nose blocked. You can also add steam inhalation with menthol for added benefits.

In addition, I would encourage you to consult an ENT specialist for physical examination to identify the cause if you remain concerned. He or she may prescribe a decongestant with antihistamines.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any additional questions.

Warm Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor