After unprotected sex noticed brown painless spots on thighs. What could it be?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: A couple of weeks after having unprotected sex I noticed flat pink-light brownish spots on the insides of my upper thighs. They are close to my groin, do not itch, are not raised, there is no pain and they vary in size with the largest being about the size of a fingertip. Some days they appear darker and some days a couple of them will look like they are just dry spots. I have had them for just over 2 mos now. They have not spread. I sit for about 10-12 hours a day for work & my commute. My job is VERY stressful & I'm carrying an extra 10 lbs since I have stopped exercising almost a year ago. I have not been tested for stds since my encounter. Does this sound more like a fungal thing or std?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Coagulation abnormalities, syphilis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. -According to your description, there is somewhat less possibility for sexually transmitted diseases. Because symptoms appeared few weeks after intercourse and there are no any associated symptoms like vaginal discharge, fever, lymphnodal enlargement etc. - But one possibility is secondary syphilis. Which presents with rash over moist areas like groin. But usually associated symptoms like fever, lymphnodal swelling, muscle aches etc accompany it. -Blood coagulatory problems can present with red spots. - Intake of anticoagulant drugs like aspirin can present with these type of spots. So, consult gynecologist once and get examined. If she recommends go for VDRL test to diagnose the possibility of syphilis and blood coagulation profile. Possibly with this workup the cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 minutes later
I do have a swollen lymph node near my bikini line as well .
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Better to get examined once Detailed Answer: Hi, Sometimes rash due to secondary syphilis may present as you are having. And as there is swollen lymph node also, better to get examined. Consult gynecologist once and get examined. Go for serological testing for syphilis. This will possibly help in diagnosing the cause of the problem. Take care.