After smoking meth breastfed the child. Will it be harmful?

Dr. Synthyia Bhagat

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hello, I recently smoked meth & then Breastfed. I didn't know that it would go into the breast milk. Have only done it once & Breastfed twice after use... I don't normally take meth & didn't know about it effecting my breast milk... I am really worried... Can u help please?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 13 hours later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hu XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. I strongly recommend you not to take met for re creational purpose while breastfeeding as it has various side effects on growth and development of baby. But since you have taken it once it will get cleared from milk in 24 to 48hours. I will suggest you to monitor your baby for any lethargy or refusal of feed and in case it is there get him evaluated by pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...