question-icon

After my period ended, I continued to have a bloody

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019
Question: After my period ended, I continued to have a bloody discharge that varied from brown to red in color and was occurring after sexual intercorse. After being off my period for a week, the bleeding is still occurring and worsens after sex and there is a continuous foul oder smell.
Answered by Dr. Prasad (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Infection per se needs to be ruled out...

Detailed Answer:

You haven't mentioned your age here.

The symptoms that you report - bleeding after sexual intercourse and the foul smelling discharge / bleed are concerning. Possibilities of genital infection and other cervical pathologies needs to be ruled out. I strongly recommend that you see a doctor at the earliest. A careful clinical and per speculum examination is necessary.

Until you see a doctor, it is important that you avoid any sexual activity. Drink plenty of fluids and continue to maintain personal hygiene.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad