After having a cold , ear fluid, then vertigo ,

Excellent

Question
After having a cold, ear fluid, then vertigo, all during the recovery process, Should the vertigo continue very long? I can not take decongestants. I am on tetracycline for acne. I am 76 years old and have difficulty hearing, but it got worse with this illness. I am well otherwise, should I be worried?
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if it last longer than 2 weeks, need to be seen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare

Vertigo can occur with the common cold because the infection (cold virus) can affect the sinuses and inner ear.

In most persons, it resolves by 2 weeks after cold symptoms have improved. If this time has passsed or the vertigo is severe, then you should be see by your doctor or an ENT specialist.

YOu can consider using medication dramamine to help with the vertigo. This is normally used for nausea but has been found to be helpful with vertigo as well.
It will make you drowsy unfortunately and should only be used for a few days.

Another option is meclizine.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions