Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

After giving births stomach went back to normal but now have skin fold on lower abdomen. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
Hi, I am a 53 fairly healthy lady. Have had 4 Chidren, living, after all births stomach went back to normal. This time, due to bowel, ect.... Problems one side of my lower abdominal has a fair size skin fold. Unsightly to me. Would like removed, really do not want total liposuction procedure. Can this be done? Plus would it be covered by Pharmacare? Plus, possibly by who?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This is not unusual after childbirth - it is sometimes difficult to get rid of the 'ledge' of skin on the lower abdomen. The procedure that is performed to remove this is called an 'abdominoplasty'. This is usually performed by a Plastic Surgeon.

It is usually very difficult to get these covered by insurance. The only case that I can think of for a patient of mine was because of recurrent, severe yeast infections under the skin fold. These were treated extensively without success and only then did insurance agree to pay for the surgery.

You could start off with a consult with a Plastic Surgeon and they would be able to help you navigate the insurance side of things.

I hopt that this helps and good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: After giving births stomach went back to normal but now have skin fold on lower abdomen. Treatment? 10 hours later
Thank you for your comments. Although I did go see a plastic surgeon, and it was he that stated I should have a total liposuction, as I was "fat". Needless to say I would never go back to this gentleman, but he also informed me it would be over $6,000.00! I am a single mother, and have been for years. Because of this unsightly bulge, I have never again been intimate. Oh sure he told me I could get on a finance plan, that would probably take to my 60's to pay off! Yes I am 5' 3 1/2 inches tall and 173 lbs, and I HATE IT!! I eat one healthy meal a day! I had a bad back injury from my abusive ex, and exercise is difficult! I have started to started my block walk daily. But then can barely walk next day, so ends up every 2nd day walk! Is there any good DVD Exercise for back problem people??? I have no problem (or ever did) with appetite suppressing.
To top it off my G.P (which I call a quack) because he really treats nothing, only NOW, after one blood test, I had very high (or so he said? at 17?) which he immediately put me on Crestor( telling me I would have to take these to be taking these for LIFE!!)??? Should other tests not be done?
#1. Is it not possible to get a good job done in Winnipeg, MB, Canada, for less than $6000.00???? I am all alone children have all left (mainly for the abuse I wrongfully let them see and disrespect me for. Yes I got 5 year physicoligist help and helped me, other then very, very low self esteem. I have to be able be able to like what I see in the mirror!
#2. I now get constant headaches, stomach nausea, weakness, fatigue, does my Doctor not have a safer approach to LIFE ON CRESTOR??
PLEASE tell me I a chance to be happy? That someone can HELP me.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 21 hours later
Thank you for the followup. I am sorry about the delay in responding.

For your height, a normal weight is in the range of 108-145lbs. Looking at charts of BMI, or body mass index, your are in the 'overweight' category. So to call you "fat" is definitely insensitive. His response should have been to recommend a weight loss plan to achieve a 30 pound drop in weight and then reconsideration of the appropriate way to address the 'bulge' that you are describing rather than suggesting a 'total liposuction'. The sense that I get is that you are motivated to lose weight, but this is made difficult by your back injury.

Second, you have the General Practitioner who also provides you appropriately with a medication for treating high cholesterol (a risk factor for heart disease), but does not sound like he is addressing the weight issue either. In all likelihood, if you an drop the weight, your cholesterol will also drop and you will not need this medication forever.

So in answer to your questions:
1. $6000 for the procedure that your are describing is less than women pay in the USA.
2. The safer approach to 'life on Crestor' is figuring out how to get you healthier and lose weight
3. You definitely have a chance to be happy - you would not be here asking the question if it were not possible!

So, I think that you should do the following:
1. Make this about you, nobody else. This is not about your ex-husband or your kids. You are going to do this for you.
2. Continue to see the Psychologist - you have been the victim of abuse and you need continued counseling in this regard
3. You need to join a weight loss program - losing weight is more about restricting calories. You can exercise all you want, or not, but you have to decrease your calories and find a plan to eat healthier
4. You need a Physical Therapist to work with you on back exercises. Low back pain is extremely common and can be overcome. This will also get easier if you can lose some weight
5. If you can afford it, consider joining a gym (which often comes with free access to a personal trainer)
6. You need a new primary doctor
7. When you are ready to go back to a Plastic Surgeon, you need to go to someone new for a second opinion.

In patients of my own who are motivated, this is how they lose weight and get off medications related to being overweight.

This is the best answer that I can give you and I hope that it helps!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor