After a short flight for a new year holiday I
Seems ear problem
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
During flight there is change in atmospheric pressure inside aeroplane and people with sore throat tend to experience exacerbation of ear pain during or after a flight.
I will suggest that you take an anti-allergic medicine like chlorpheniramine 2 times aday to lower the throat congestion, so that eustachian tube opens. Chlorpheniramine can cause sedation but is good at relieving throat congestion and mucous. This will relieve the ear pain. Also take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen 200 mg 2-3 times a day.
It could also be ruptured tympanic membrane or acute otitis media. Though it doesnt seem like an emergency but examination of ear and throat and prescription of antibiotics maybe needed if it doesnt get better in 1-2 days.
There is also a possibility of carotid embolism from heart fibrillation. It can also cause jaw pain and severe headache are usual symptoms, which are not there in your case. This condition requires scan of the carotids in hospital.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
There is a risk of embolism
Sorry for delay in my response as I was busy with my other professional obligations.
Since there is a risk of embolism, I will suggest a carotid duplex at earliest. Its a possibility that emboli are getting fired from heart. Since there are no symptoms related to your brain, so possibly the emboli maybe affecting the external carotid artery. Its just a possibility, nothing to panic.
Otherwise other causes of TMJ problem will need to be explored. In this case, an ENT surgeon and dentist will be able to help with it.
Embolism and bleeds are opposite processes
NSAIDs like Aspirin are not advised during anticoagulant therapy due to risk of bleeding. Ibuprofen has lesser chances of bleeding than aspirin.
Embolism and bleeds are opposite processes, I was worried about in-sufficient anti-coagulant effect of medicine. If embolus is found, then you might need warfarin.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...